[Public-List] The Commute to DC

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 23 19:23:49 PDT 2014

   The time has come to begin serious planning and preparation for a June
   cruise.  This cruise is open to the Chesapeake Bay Alberg 30
   Association, the American Schooner Association and friends.  The
   Potomac is a pretty river, however due to the the lack of marinas along
   the way it is recommended that all participants be well provisioned
   before departure.  There are marinas, but the depths approaching them
   are too shallow.  In Washington, DC itself, dock space is at a premium
   and it is intended that we anchor, a dinghy is necessary.  The
   waterfront area is in the process of renovation.  I have talked to the
   developers, contractors and the Capital Yacht Club and assured that the
   anchorage will be available.  There is one stop on the trip where it is
   almost necessary to tie up in a marina, Colonial Beach.  To help me
   make reservations I need to have everyone planning to go contact me so
   I can set this up.  This also helps the friends who are hosting at
   Kinsale plan.  Please email me at a30240 at earthlink.net if you think you
   are going to participate.  As it gets closer to departure I will set up
   an email address book for the participants so we can coordinate.
   I will need:
   Captain's name
   Boat name
   Length
   Beam
   Draft
   Number on board

                             The Commute   2014

   The Commute is a two week trip from the Annapolis area to Washington,
   DC.  We will depart the end of May and head directly to Solomons.  Here
   we will anchor near the Holiday Inn.  This will give people a chance to
   refuel, take on water and ice.  The only grocery store is quite a hike
   so you want to be fully provisioned.  From Solomons we will proceed to
   near Kinsale on the Potomac.  At this anchorage we will be hosted by
   friends on shore, who are planning to join us for the cruise.  The next
   day takes us to Colonial Beach, a nice town with a fuel dock and a good
   restaurant in the marina.  This will also be one of the few times that
   we will tie up for the night, there just isn't any good anchorage.
   From Colonial Beach we will skirt the edge of the Navy's Dahlgren
   Impact area.  If the range is active we will be directed by the Navy on
   exactly how we pass - they are very friendly and helpful.  Our next
   anchorage will be in Mattawoman Creek.  From here we will pass Mount
   Vernon and pass under the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and continue to the
   anchorage in Washington Channel.  In Washington we will use the Capital
   Yacht Club as a base of operations.  They are friendly, have a secure
   dinghy dock and one of the best showers on the East Coast.  This
   location is also near Metro and the city.  There is also a fair grocery
   store within walking distance.  The James Creek Marina has fuel for
   those needing it for the return trip.  While in the DC two anchors are
   required.  This is a requirement by the DC Marine Police to minimize
   swinging.  The depth is about 20 feet and it has a soft bottom.

   The return trip should be a bit faster, as the ebb current is much
   stronger than the flood.  Our first day of the return should have us
   anchored in the Port Tobacco River.  From here it is an easy run to
   Cobb Island and then on to Leonardtown on Breton Bay.  From Leonardtown
   it is intended to visit the Frank Morris Inn on St. Clement' Bay.  Here
   we should be able to tie up for the night.  From the Frank Morris Inn
   we will go to Smith Creek and then Solomons and home.

   Note all of this is subject to daily change depending on weather and
   desires of the various crews.  Once we have departed I will have my
   cell phone on and if anyone wants to link up, I suggest they call to be
   sure where we will be.  I will also monitor VHF 16 when we are moving.
   This is an interesting trip and gives people the chance to visit the
   tourist stops that we seldom see - after all who wants to drive a car
   into DC?

Jim Davis
Privateer Isa Lei

If man does find the solution for world peace it will be the most revolutionary
reversal of his record we have ever known.

George C. Marshall

Warning:  Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the National Security Agency (NS
A)
may read and archive this e-mail.  NSA may do this without any warning, warrant,
notice, consent, or any judicial or legislative oversight.
You have no recourse or legal protection.