[Public-List] single handing

gordon white via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Aug 7 12:54:15 PDT 2014

     I think the A-30 is an excellent single-handler. Actually larger,
up to a point, is easier because more stable, so a 30 footer is easier
than a 22 footer (I've sailed both,) And I owned a 34 ft  schooner I
single-handed. I'd look for two things. make that three: a large
roller-furling genoa, an auto pilot and self-tailing winches.

     Remember, Francis Chichester single-handed around the world in a 52
footer.

     You can sail a lot on just a 150% jib, which with roller-furling is
a lot easier to get in and out than the main and the Alberg does not
have a stowaway mast -

     By oneself, it's necessary to have an auto pilot to go pee, and do
other things, like minor repairs, fix a sandwich, etc.

     And a self-tailing winch is very helpful when you're by yourself.

     Add to that stability and you're in good shape with an A-30 - I've
had mine since 1991.

  - Gordon White
Brigadoon II