[Public-List] Reversing

Lawrence Morris via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Aug 8 13:54:39 PDT 2014

You are not alone.

The primary cause is what is call prop walk.  The prop will drag the stern sideways when in reverse and because there is no water flowing across the rudder the boat continues to move in that direction.

Couple of strategies to try.

The pulse method. I put the engine in reverse just long enough to get the boat moving then I moved back to neutral to stop the prop walk.  Once direction is stabilized i put it in reverse for a for burst then neutral again.  Sort of like shampoo rinse repeat.

The method I use the most however is to hand walk the boat out of the slip. Then use the engine.  I find if I can get the boat 1/2 to 2/3 out of the slip then reversing is easy from that point.

Keep in mind you are never going to be able to fight a cross wind in reverse. The bow is going to go downwind.  I have given up fighting.  I just go with it and continue until I can shift to forward to bring the boat into the wind.  Even if that means doing a circle.

My 2 cents.

Larry

Sent from my iPad