[Public-List] Reversing

Kris Coward via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Aug 8 13:04:49 PDT 2014

I just switch to a quick pulse in forward with the rudder hard over, to
correct any variation from the direction I want the boat to be pointed
in while I'm reversing. My usual mooring is in a narrow slip (med
mooring, so pretty much exactly as wide as my boat, plus a few inches
for fenders), and there can't be more than 35' of clear water behind me
to manoeuvre in when I'm pulling out (and if there's an entire 35' I'd
be really surprised), so I've gotten a lot of practice doing this.

Also, to make it a bit easier, I'd recommend shifting with your foot
(assuming you steer with a tiller), and not putting the gear all the way
into forward (assuming you have an A4; it's easier to shift back to
reverse by foot if it hasn't clicked into forward).

Cheers,
Kris

Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/