[Public-List] A4 question

Chris H chris.herrnberger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 12:48:41 PST 2014

Open the cover on the transmission via the cover plate and with a light examine it carefully. Do not undo the cable not needed. Now put a pair of vise grips on the shaft and have someone thought it in forward. You could have toasted or misaligned the drum. The transmission is very simple. The fact the reverse works, have your busy do that as well or do it yourself at the transmission lever is suggestive of something going on in there. The level of oil is not that important as its splashed with engine oil when operational. Easy to work on, rebuild mine on a Cal 29 in Cape May thanks to Bob Moyer's excellent manual and part support. You also have a bearing at the back of the tens!mission case, if the shaft is bend it will take a beating. A4 hickup, to replace it you have to pull the engine. Mine leaked so just build a shield and collected oil with absorbent.