[Public-List] cleaning under the liner

vmarmei vmarmei at axis-design.org
Sat Jan 4 17:59:16 PST 2014

Mold...Yes...Mold reminds.... me Long time have not seen any in my boat.
Well here goes: for a long time I used to soak all my boat lines and
wash everything diligently with a mixture of vinegar and water or
water and Javex ....then I saw a friend in the club soak every thing
in a pail containing a green solution.
He told me that this Green solution was a Swimming Pool LIQUID
ALGAECIDE sold here in Canada /Canadian Tire Store for $4.07 a
gallon.(Summer before the pool season)
Liquid Algaecide is  dumped into a swimming pool to kill all the
Green.Brown and the Black mold,algae and other harmful elements.
Now... I soak all my lines in a 5 gallon pail/with a mix of 1gal
Algaecide to 3 gallons of water ....you have to have some space for
the lines and leave them there for 2-3 days. I also spray all my Teak
Wood inside outside the boat liners, empty drawers. etc,etc. using a
Fruit Tree Pump Sprayer. I let this spray (in the summer) run right
over every thing...down walls,partitions,doors but specially into
crevices and hidden spaces that one can not reach with a sponge or a brush.
Spraying like this is a piece of cake....I also wipe the excess
liquid off with a towel from the teak panels BUT I let it run and
soak all the hidden places.  The warm /sunny weather dries every
thing in a few hours....but leaves the un-harmful residue for the
mold to feast on.
Now the interesting thing about this Algaecide is that it KILLS the
ROOT of the mold while Vinegar and Javex leave the mold dormant for a
sure come back.
It is also Non Toxic and Harmless in a swimming pool (But NOT
recommended for straight cocktail drinking) It also does not Eat or
destroy the rope and lines like Javex does.

Another thing....If you want to score some +++ points with your
wife/girlfriend....take some of this Algaecide in a glass jar and
with a paint brush paint all the Tile spaces with this stuff (No mix)
two or three times a week....after a few weeks all that black mold in
your shower / bathroom will be gone for good. My wife at one time
used to scrub and scratch with a tooth pick and a tooth brush for
this mold in our shower room for hours. Well I took the walls to the
brush (only the tile joints) and for sure got rid of the mold and
also scored some ++++ points.
If you have any mold in your walls in the basement....drill a 1/16
dia, hole through the Chiprock (Drywall) 5/6 feet up the wall (In
between the 2x4 @ 16 inches) and with a plastic Syringe shoot the
back wall full of Algaecide and your wet grey ugly mold will disappear.
That is all for the time being.
Have a HAPPY Alberg sailing Summer and a most Healthy and Prosperous
New Year.
Villo
A30 641/618