[Public-List] Jyb track location on foredeck

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Thu Jan 30 08:27:27 PST 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 04:01:58PM -0500, Gordon Laco wrote:
> Hello Kris -
>
> I think the rail tracks are immensely stronger than the mid-deck ones.

That I'm sure of, but I can also remember that half of what I use the
split vang for on Wednesday nights, is to allow my main trimmer to push
the boom out without leaving her position (when there's little to no
wind, and evryone else is busy e.g. putting the whisker pole on). If the
track on the rail gives me as good an angle for that, then it's time to
contemplate alternate uses or locations for the inboard track. OTOH, if
the track on the side deck works better for that, then I may want
instead to get snap shackles to bring the vang back to the inner track
on Windless Wednesdays, when the concerns about load aren't "can the
structure of the boat handle this" but rather "is there anything we can
do to get more"..

> I've wondered about those mid deck tracks.  I has not escaped my notice that
> Danish-built Folkboats had forward jib tracks in just the same place and
> just the same angle.  I don't doubt that Kurt Hansen, who was Danish, and a
> Folkboat man, liked those mid deck tracks and carried them from the Folkboat
> to the A30.
>
> And guess where the Danes are putting those tracks now?  On the coach roof
> edge...even further inboard, but at a stronger point in the boat's structure

Hrmmm, that might be worth trying out (in a definitely not at the top
of my to-do list sort of way...)

Cheers,
Kris

--