[Public-List] Stiff Tiller Movement

James Allocco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Jul 7 05:44:02 PDT 2014

Hello to all,

I hope everyone had an enjoyable 4th. We had some excitement on the 3rd
when Arthur came through here in Oriental, NC but no damage as the winds
were only in the high 40's and about 4' feet of surge.  I hope everyone
else made out as well.

I hadn't used Barchetta Mia  much this year but I am planning to bring it
to the Chesapeake for 3-4 weeks later this month.  I moved her to a mooring
for the hurricane and when I retrieved her yesterday the movement of the
tiller was very stiff. While on the mooring the tiller was bungeed
amidships.  I motored up and down the creek for a while , sometimes needing
to hands to move the tiller. I worked it back and forth continuously and it
seemed to loosen up a bit but is still stiffer than I can ever recall it
being.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what  can cause this?

I have never made any adjustments to the  rudder shaft packing glad, nor
have I ever noticed a leak.

I also have a rudder shoe I purchased during the recent group order that
bought on the if come.

Thanks,
Jim Allocco
Barchetta Mia 565