[Public-List] configuring sailing controls

David Terrell via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sat Jul 5 02:44:11 PDT 2014

Brent

I have spent a lot of time rethinking and rerigging my boat. My
experience supports the choice of Andersen winches and garhaurer
equipment. Knowing what kind of sailing you are going to do is place to
start. My starting points were safety, convenience, and the probability
that I would sail the boat single handed. I wanted a boat I could sail
easily when I was past 80. For this reason, I decided to lead the lines
back and added things not normally found on alberg 30s - for instance, a
Genoa car system that lets me adjust the lead blocks under load. While I
did not know it when I started, I was constructing a demonstration boat-
one equipped as I thought Carl would have recommended had he been alive
now and advising me with my goals in mind. Since I now teach sailing,
the boat has become a very good, if not perfect, platform for teaching
adults to sail.   There are photos of many of my projects on the web
site. Also, there is a copy of an article published on the boat in Good
Old Boat in November 2011 on the web site. The article catalogues what I
had done as of that date and provides some helpful pictures. The process
has taken about 10 years and was funded on a pay as you go basis.

David