[Public-List] boat set up

Don Campbell via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Jul 3 19:58:42 PDT 2014

Hi Brent:
     In setting up a sail boat, the most important thing is safety, and
that includes the boat, standing rigging, hardware, running riggingand
sails that will not fail in the weather you are going to get caught in,
not that you choose to be out in. We have all done it- misjudged the
weather, -  and so get caught in more than we want or need. You must
have gear to be safe in those circumstances because it is your life and
the lives of your crew that you are responsible for. To me, that means
knowing the breaking strength of every piece of line and using the
correct strength for each application. (I do not use fiber halyards for
the reason that they stretch and reduce sail ability when they do that.)
This is not easy to sort out because trying to determine the load on a
line is not something easily calculated, (and in that case I tend to use
Mennonite technology - go twice as strong as you think you need and see
if it can fail).
     I suggest you try to get on a boat and go for a sail  to actually
see how things work before you do anything to reinstall or buy new
stuff. A race crew is a great way to see how things work in action if
you can get near a race and I am sure you can get a ride. It need not be
an AL30 but getting to Annapolis will get you on an Alberg
     The next thing I would do is get a Harken and Ronstan catalogue in
hard paper (available at dealers or at boat shows) and go over the
various set ups they show in their technical sections. They also give
you some formulae to use to calculate your load requirements, but a far
cry from reasonably easy in some cases.
     The third thing I would try to do is go and see a C&C 99 because
they are they closest thing on the market right now to match an AL30 for
size, sails area and mass. It is sold as a racer/cruiser as well. In my
opinion, it is really well laid out for block size and rigging routing.
(It should be for the price!)
     Once that is accomplished, then you need to define performance as
you see it for what sailing you want to do.  That includes things like
traveller adjustment for the car, stretch on halyards (wire rope vs.
fiber rope), sail controls with things like poles, foreguys, barber
haulers,  line to sail attachments, ease of changing same, outhaul
adjustment and ease of doing so, and sail adjustment that you want to
make, (stretching luffs, and reefing for instance that are beyond sail
shape adjustments). You might also consider the ease of sail handling
for older people, women and arthritic or joint problems. That means
going to 6:1 mains and 40:1 two speed winches for instance. Easy to sail
and safe for all too! I also think simplicity is a bonus and so things
like Dutchmen sail handlers only complicate things to much for me but
then that is me.
     This then dictates what you want to put on your boat for hardware
and rigging. Check the standing rigging for nicks and thread distortion.
Any distortion on threads means a replacement ( in pairs ) of wire and
fasteners! Replacing a mast lost is about $17,000. these days, so try
not to have to do that!!! Price then rears its head for the other
stuff,  and there are options. Harken and Ronstan are good , but
expensive. I prefer Andersen winches because they do not wear the sheets
like rough barrels do. Not any cheaper, but a huge saving not buying
sheets when frayed with use. I can make sheets last 11 years on the
Andersens and my friends tell me they replace sheets every second or
third year with Harkens. If that gets factored into the cost, Andersen's
are not that expensive. Garhauer makes good stuff with out the huge
price, but there may be places where you might wnat to use someone else.
I have 2 Harken dinghy blocks in my boom so I have 14:1 on the outhaul
and can adjust it under any wind strength, from the cockpit and a great
comfort when it comes to flattening a sail in a big wind.
     I used a tender system when I did my boat and sent my list to 4
sellers (I wanted Harken from my past experience) asking for their best
price and all or nothing for buying , so I would not cherry pick as they
varied on individual pieces. The difference was over $1000 on a list
that topped out at $2500 for the most expensive, and it was all the same
stuff! That is a 40% reduction, but you will not get that from Garhauer
because they are both manufacturer and retailer.
     Consider timeing of buying too. Boat show prices in the spring are
often less or with discounts and if you can give your seller time to
bring things in on a normal scheduled order, are cheaper than delivered
to you as a special order. If your order is big enough to give a volume
discount to your seller, he may pass some of that on to you as well.
     Things can be additive too, so they fit the budget! What do you
need to sail? A main sail and a fore sail. That means a set of jib
sheets and winches and a mainsheet, two halyards and some controls on
the traveller. Anything and everything  else can be added as money
becomes available.
     If you have any questions or need more help, just ask.
Don Campbell
White Opal #528