[Public-List] Rudder Shoe Replacement

Glenn Brooks via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Jul 8 10:58:33 PDT 2014

Jim,  easy enough to check your rudder shoe.  Pull the shoe off and look for elongation
In the hole where the rudder pin sits.  Also look at the rudder pin and determine if it has been worn down or elongated.  If so, time for a new pin in the rudder stock.  Probably requires pulling the rudder, which one person can do with some muscle and some serious wiggling of rudder back and forth.  Then drill out the old pin, or if integral to the stock, cut off and blind drill and tap a 1/2 or 5/8" hole down into the rudder stock 2 to 3" and thread in a new silica bronze bolt (NOT STAINLESS ), cut off the head and wall-la reassemble.  Sounds horrible- it isn't.

Note:  you may need to reem out or drill the hole in the rudder shoe to accommodate a new size pin.

I did this a few years ago and used 5/8" pin, as there is plenty O material in the rudder shoe to drill oversize, and I love the extra bearing surface at the bottom of the rudder.  Actually I rebuilt the rudder with new 1" bronze shafting and had a machine shop turn the bottom of the shaft down into the pin, but plenty of albergers have drilled existing and replaced with bronze bolt.

Glenn B
Dolce 318

Sent from my iPad