[Public-List] Life lines

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Jul 9 06:58:57 PDT 2014

Well here goes -

I¹ve seen people lean on lifelines; I put that behaviour in the same
category as other bad habits that sometimes become normal behaviour.    Our
lifelines are too low, and our decks even when new are not strong enough for
lifelines to be the real safety barrier everyone wishes them to be.  The
prudent seaman considers them a last chance to keep a person aboard, not a
solidly strong bulwark.  One should make them as strong as possible, but the
truth is they cannot be assumed to be safe to lean on.  That¹s a bad habit.

I used to sail alone without a harness, but two things happened the same
summer many years ago while sailing my Folkboat.  She was so well balanced
that she¹d track a long way without help from the tiller.  One afternoon I
walked forward to flick a tickler that had caught on the genoa¹s
stitching...on the way back to the cockpit, walking normally, the boat gave
a slight heave and I very nearly went overboard.  It was spring, the water
was very cold, and it occurred to me that I¹d have been very lucky to have
caught up with TOUCH WOOD as she close reached away, rounded up, fell off
then reached away again.  I¹d have been dead that afternoon.  The second
thing happened a few weeks later.  During a race while crewing in another
yacht, we found an old corpse in the water.  I learned the next day that the
young man had been identified by his father... I swore to myself I didn¹t
want my own father ever to have to look at a mess like that if I could
easily prevent it.

What I just wrote has nothing directly to do with the lifeline discussion ­
but it does have everything to do with good seamanship and how easy it is
for bad habits to become normal behaviour.   It¹s so easy to forget that out
on the water we¹re in an alien and hostile environment where humans don¹t
really belong.  Our boats keep us alive ­ nobody would live for long a few
hundred meters off the beach without a boat under them.  We get so used to
successfully returning that we forget how near death can be.

I would recommend anyone interested should read this
http://www.woodenboat.com/lessons-bounty

I participated in some of the professional aftermath of the BOUNTY
disaster... The issue dealt with in the article above is one that touches
all of us and not just in sailing.  What struck me most deeply was the issue
of becoming habituated to risk.   It¹s so easy to forget....

Gord #426 Surprise