[Public-List] Alberg 30 boom gooseneck

Michael Grosh via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Jul 23 17:57:51 PDT 2014

I have had Checkmate's boom welded in several places (patches filling
holes) on mostly the aft end. It's worked out well for me. It's said
welding weakens aluminum, but it has to be stronger than a hole (or a
crack). TIG welding is what you are looking for.
I assume you have converted to jiffy reefing? Welding may immobilize the
internal worm gear on the roller reefing setup, depending on what mischief
the weld arc gets into. Not a bad thing, really; roller furling is pretty
much sucky, in technical terms.
MichaelGrosh
On Jul 23, 2014 5:52 PM, "Kristian Larson via Public-List" <