[Public-List] Transducer issues

Glenn Brooks brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Tue Jun 3 20:15:32 PDT 2014

Hey Bob,  welcome to A 30 ownership!  They are great boats.  Is the transducer a thru hull type? If so, recommend you don't do anything to try to remove it while the boat is in the water.  Unless you are wearing scuba gear when you pull the plug - or you have a very shallow berth:)

The easiest solution is to go buy a new depth sounder or better yet a combo chart plotter/sounder/gps with a transducer that mounts in a little plastic bracket on the inside of the hull.  Pretty simple to install, and they shoot right thru fiberglass like the glass isn't even there.  I get depth readings down to 600 feet with my thru hull transducer and garmin chart plotter - plus I know where I am all the time  just be looking at the screen.

Nip off the old thru hull transducer wires and leave the thru hull stuff alone until you haul out.

Alternately haul out now and make sure everything underwater is in good shape before you depart on your trip. This should be done every year anyway.    If the boat has Been left in the water for more than a year very likely your zincs are gone and need replacing, and if longer than that, with no zinc protection, underwater bronze fittings start to corrode away, such as the Pintal that hold the rudder to the boat,  and Whitby's home made thru hull fittings.  A couple of boat owners have had very bad days on the water by sailing away boats they didn't haul out!  Just sayin...

Best regards,
Glenn B
dolce 318

Sent from my iPad