[Public-List] depth sounder

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 6 04:01:55 PDT 2014

When I installed my Garmin 541s I bought an Airmar transducer with an
in-hull base that adjusts to the angle of the dead rise. I installed it on
the port side just aft of the bulkhead to the head in the main cabin. I
liked the idea that I did not have to drill a hole in the boat to install
the transducer. It was simple to install, just clean up the selected
location with acetone and I used 5200 to 'glue' the base to the inside of
the hull. The only hard part was to figure out the angle. After doing a lot
of geometry I figure it to be 22 degrees, then confirmed that with the level
app on my cell phone. I dialed the base to 22 degrees and set it in place.
Once the 5200 setup, I filled it with mineral oil and connected the
transducer to the GPS/chart plotter. It worked immediately and has ever
since
(5 years). I adjusted the offset in the GPS so I get true bottom depth. I am
sure you can make a homemade version of this with PVC pipe, but this was
really easy...of course everything was brand new.

Here's a link to the Airmar component

http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009/products/marine-product.asp?prodid=52&manf=All