[Public-List] depth sounder location

Bill Wallace wayfarer3134 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 12:17:26 PDT 2014

That is where mine is, except it has a hole in the hull for it - but will probably get replaced as it isn't reliable any longer.  Performance probably doesn't matter unless you do contour following on deep depths (eg if you are trying to maintain a distance off-shore by following the 200' contour line, then you might care, but not if you use it to detect when you hit 25' or so).    Getting it further forward probably doesn't matter since it is unlikely you can re-act fast enough to stop the boat before grounding if you got it 1' in front of the keel (at 1 knot you are travelling about 0.5 m/s), so you might at best have 1 second before grounding - probably just about the time your hand pushes the tiller over or hits the throttle you would ground.  The only way to really do forward looking grounding prevention is to use a forward looking sonar.

Bill.