[Public-List] depth sounder location

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri Jun 6 12:04:59 PDT 2014

While we're on the subject of depth sounders...

My transducer a transom mount model which I have epoxied
to the the hull. It's located under the port settee,
near the forward bulkhead, tucked in behind the
head intake through-hull. It points straight down through
a puddle of epoxy made by making a little duct tape dam
and then pouring in slightly thickened epoxy.

In terms of not getting in the way, it's pretty much perfect.
I went looking for it the other day and had difficulty finding it.

In terms of depth sounding however, it's not ideal, because it is shooting
through more epoxy than if it was flush against the hull and because
it is slightly shadowed by the keel. I'm not sure how much this affects
performance.

My question is: Is there a better location?

I feel somewhere further forward, ahead of the keel, on the centreline,
would be better. But that's where the water tank is.

SG

Stephen Gwyn                       | Tel: 1-250-363-3136
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre     | Fax: 1-250-363-0045
Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics | Cell: 1-250-885-6969
5071 West Saanich Road             | E-mail: Stephen.Gwyn at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Victoria, BC, V9E 2E7, Canada      | http://astrowww.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn/