[Public-List] Fasteners

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Mon Jun 30 20:20:32 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 10:01:18PM -0400, George Dinwiddie wrote:
> From memory, I think the coamings are held with 1/4-20 round-head
> machine screws. The cleats you should be able to tell by what fits
> the holes.

>From having recently re-caulked a bunch of deck hardware this winter,
absolutely every piece of deck hardware that I re-caulked was secured
with 1/4-20 machine screws of some sort of head or other. I didn't
(re)seal around the coaming, but I'd be willing to bet good money that
your memory is right.

> Brightwork around the companionway is probably #10 flathead wood
> screws, covered by bungs.
>
> The hatch hinges are, I think, 1/4-20 flathead machine screws.

The hatch hinges *are* among the hardware I re-caulked, so definitely
1/4-20

-Kris

P.S. as far as popping the plugs is concerned, I've always heard that
glued joints in wood are stronger than the grain of the wood itself
(once set); I've always been afraid that if I popped them, they wouldn't
come out cleanly because of this (and have, so far, managed to avoid
doing any repairs that involve popping plugs). I guess I should get over
myself and just drive some screws into them until they pop or shatter...

--
Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/