[Public-List] dye-penetrant - NDT engineering inspection

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Wed Mar 5 11:52:20 PST 2014

I would recommend an NDT engineering inspection - let them do the at arms
length inspection. (about $350-$450). Take the mast down for the inspection.

They will provide you with a written report. Save that report and send a
copy to your Ins Company for your records to prove due diligence.

The cost of the NDT inspection is about what most folk have as deductible on
their boats.

If your rig ever goes over the side, or you become a ship wreck, or there is
a injury suite because of it, and there are any arguments as to the payout
or maintenance, you will have a powerful document to use in enforcing your
claim and demonstrating due diligence. Particularly if it recourse to legal
remedy. We all live in an increasingly litigious societies.

Or, just replace all the standing rigging with new as we did.

In the Hamilton / Burlington area for the Marina & Boat Club, to inspect &
certify annually our lifting gear & devices, we use Staverly Engineering
Services.

Hope this is a help.

Kindest regards

John