[Public-List] Dinghy

John Irving jirving104 at aol.com
Mon Mar 10 13:28:56 PDT 2014

Thanks, I will!

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Wallace <wayfarer3134 at yahoo.com>
To: Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all <public-list at lists.alberg30.org>
Sent: Mon, Mar 10, 2014 2:29 pm
Subject: Re: [Public-List] Dinghy

I'm about half way through building a fliptail, 7' version.  So far it has cost
me about $250 and I'm nearly done (just painting and final covering left).  The
idea is that I can fold it up and lash it somewhere, or even store it inside in
the forepeak to keep things clear for passages.  A bit hard to build the curved
hoops, but I wanted a dinghy I could reasonably row and was already familiar
with skin on frame designs - they are pretty robust.  Even if I need to reskin
it every 5 years, or even every other year, the cost to reskin isn't very high -
and one can always use duck tape to patch holes as it doesn't rely on internal
air pressure.  Size is about 7" high when packed, and 7' long by 2' or so wide.

The only significant change I plan for this boat is to add an inflatable collar
so that I can swim from the boat and reboard it in case I tip it (very hard to
reboard many dinghy's - so if you sail it, and ever tip it can be a real pain
getting back on board.)  The collar will be designed to just be out of the water
with 2 people on board.  Yes, that part will have to hold air, but given it is
replaceable separately, having a spare around wouldn't be a big deal.

I don't know yet if it is a good idea or not, but I've found managing a hard
dinghy on board is fairly difficult and inflatables are such a pain to row you
really end up needing an engine.  Email me in September and I will let you know
how my first cruise with it went.

Bill