[Public-List] Dinghy

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Mar 11 13:11:54 PDT 2014

I have a two part nesting dinghy. The big section
is about 4'6" long. The two parts fit between the mast and
the big cleat on the foredeck. I find the extra hand
hold useful when going forward. With practise, it
takes about 10 minutes to launch and assemble.
While I haven't been offshore, the dinghy has. I bought
off the guy who built it. He sailed his Gulf Island 29',
(very similiar to an Alberg 30') to Tahiti and back.
He kept his on the main cabin, behind the mast, but
that meant he couldn't use a vang.

Here's a picture.
http://astrowww.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn/pers/sailing2008/big/mediumP1030200.JPG.html

Pros:
  - Rows beautifully
  - Can be stored on deck
  - Provides handhold on foredeck
  - Forward hatch can be left cracked open under dinghy

Cons:
  - Can't open forward hatch with dinghy on top
  - Hard to launch in anything other than a flat calm

SG