[Public-List] Genoa/Drifter

Richard Mair via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Nov 30 07:48:17 PST 2014

Into The Blue has adjustable Genoa cars. They slide on the tracks and are
moved by a rope loop that runs aft to the cockpit and held in place by jam
cleats.
Works really well.

Richard
Hi All,

Seems I recall a photo of an A30 with a sport boat like sprit. I assume
this is NOT required but I guess could allow either a bigger sail and or
flying it further off the bow. Also adjustable Genoa lead cars were
mentioned, has anyone rigged them? I'm getting ready to upgrade mine from
some cruddy old blocks and was just wondering.

Wes

Sent from my iPad

> On Nov 28, 2014, at 10:24 PM, Michael Connolly via Public-List <
>
> Stephen,
> Yes I believe that is how it is referenced. What our experience was with
this sail is that in the same wind and sea conditions, i.e., 4knts/flat, we
doubled our boat speed from 1.5knts to 3 knts through a larger point of
sail range than a typical jib.  These numbers are not large and some folks
would not consider it sailing in 4 knts of breeze. But the percentage of
increase in boat speed is HUGH!  Plus the sail is about 1/2 the size of the
traditional symmetrical spinnaker for the Alberg 30, requires no pole and
is easy to manage. Depending on the luff tension the sail will beat 70
degrees to the wind and also trim from a close reach to a broad reach.
Doyle bills it as the Utility Power Sail, I would say it is the
"universally pleasurable sail".  Dave has lots of wonderful trim features
on his boat.  We were able to adjust the jib trucks while underway thus
being able to adjust the clew trim as we sailed back and forth from a close
reach to a broad reach back to beating.

> To me the sail was phenomenal. In other words seeing and feeling it was
believing it. This is a light air sail which markedly improves boat
performance and can be singlehanded. After ten minutes on board during the
first trials I said to David, "I want one".  I enjoy the aesthetics of our
CCA lines versus the more modern "sport boats".  What a cool thing to have
sail shape and design contribute so much to performance and yet change none
of the beauty of the Alberg. Hurray!

> By now you and David have communicated. I believe he will provide you
with an objective analysis of this sail.