[Public-List] Rudder stuffing box

Michael Connolly via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Nov 21 16:59:11 PST 2014

John,
I would like to add a few more comments. I guess that I don't understand why a haul-out is necessary to effect this fix, if it is so that the top of the stuffing box is above the waterline as is on Glenn's boat? It is interesting to note that you state that the rudder stock and thus the location of the stuffing box is not different from a tiller steering model to a wheel steering one. You mentioned a reason to not try and use a split die was that the space is limited......................how do you see that changing once the boat is hauled?  Are you intending to remove the entire rudder tube and stuffing box while hauled out so you can attend to rethreading the stuffing box while it is out of the boat?

Oh golly gee. It is sounding like this project is growing like topsy.  All joking aside, consider how you would make this repair while at sea where no haul-out is available.  If you are concerned about water entry while at the dock, move your ballast forward. Once her nose is down the lazarette will accommodate your extra weight. Fix the rudder in one position and dive on the boat to install rope caulking between the rudder stock and the tube if you wish to take extra precautions. Unless you feel the need to inspect/reattach the middle rudder hinge and/or the shoe it seems excess work to me to disassemble the rudder from the boat to effect this repair.  I don't know when Whitby stopped delivering Alberg 30's with wooden rudders, but yours is an early boat. Disassembling a wooden rudder from an Alberg 30 will add again to your list of issues to address.

When I suggested using a split die as a thread chaser I meant for you to split a whole die yourself. If the threads are only mangled and the tube is not crushed or peened over then chasing the threads is possible in situ.  Patience is the main component needed for this work.

Anyway, I don't mean to meddle, just do not follow the logic or need for a haul-out unless of course you have other work in mind.
Michael #133