[Public-List] Portlights & toe rails.

Glenn via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Oct 3 15:13:17 PDT 2014

Greg
Are you asking about the actual window material?  If so, I replaced everything on Dolce with polycarbonate, same thickness as the cabin sides, bedded all around with Dolphinite.  Maybe 1/4" or 5/16" can't remember. But make it the same thickness as the cabin wall.

I replaced my toe rails with 4" bulwarks capped with teak a couple of years ago.  I like the extra foot hold and security whilst walking along the deck.  The deck is cambered so the bottom of the rail or bulwark needs to be planed on an angle   to sit upright when bolted back down.  I lifted angles of the deck camber every foot then laid out the pattern on a 30' loa strip of plywood mounted on saw horses.  That became my workbench to shape the bulwarks.  Toe rails could be done the same, then rounded to shape on top with a hand held power planner.

Alternatively Most marine suppliers can order aluminum toe rail.  You would need to figure out the transitions with the raised wooden piece at the stem head and wood taff rail, and some minor deck molding where cut waters exist in the toerail.

Glenn Brooks
Dolce 318

Sent from my iPhone