[Public-List] Electronic Ignition

Jeffrey via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Oct 8 14:25:09 PDT 2014

I've got a little experience with points on old motorcycles. I've got two
older Triumph motorcycles, a 1967 Tiger and a 1977 Bonneville. The 1977
I've had for years, and has been a continuous restoration project. At this
time, it still has points ignition.  The points need attention every so
often, as does the mechanism that they are attached to. My experience has
been the same as what Gord describes, they've never left me cold, and I can
tell when they need some fiddling. This bike is a kick-start, and starting
it brings about a sense of occasion, always with a little finger crossing.
In the end, it almost always starts after 3 to 8 kicks.   Some of this
is also attributed to slightly low compression in one cylinder, to be
fair.

The 1967 is complete restoration, and has been fitted with an electronic
ignition. It starts (kick start as well) on the first or second kick every
time. It starts quick and roars to life.  I've not had the bike long enough
to know how reliable the ignition will be in the long run, but deviating
from stock in the world of old English bikes is something that's discussed
at length, and I don't know anyone who's regretted going to electronic
ignition.  But then again, on a motorcycle you can always walk home. Not so
easy with a boat.

Based on my motorcycle experience, if there was a reliable electronic
ignition available, I'd go for it. There's so many things to go wrong on a
boat, I think a good solid state electronic part would be low on the list
to worry about.

I can't help but show off my 1967 Tiger, I still get a tickle when looking
at it!

https://plus.google.com/photos/115571802364472829939/albums/6008545708056890993

Jeff

Seagrass. #116
Boothbay Harbor, Maine
http://sailboatseagrass.com/

<http://instagram.com/jfongemie>

On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 5:01 PM, Gordon Laco via Public-List <