[Public-List] Electronic Ignition

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Oct 9 06:57:49 PDT 2014

Good points.

On 09/10/14 9:56 AM, "Michael Connolly via Public-List"
<public-list at lists.alberg30.org> wrote:

Hello all,

Seems to me this maybe is a philosophical decision.  Sailors,
> due to the nature of what they do, strive for self reliance.  Do you as
> captain wish to retain as much ability to get yourself out of a fix as
> possible or are you looking for low or no maintenance?

Same goes for the
> dripless stuffing box seals. Usually when they fail they can't be adjusted or
> fixed to keep the water out.  Whereas the traditional stuffing box can be
> usually be fooled with to keep the boat from taking on water.

I also am in
> firm belief that installing fool proof, no maintenance, not requiring service
> components on a boat is inviting laziness.  The captain may get some false
> sense of security and fail to perform his regular maintenance/inspection
> schedule.

According to "Murphy" your ignition system, whether points or
> electronic, will fail when most needed, e.g., blowing onto a lee shore, etc.,
> fill in your own tight situation.

Having a spare set of points or electronic
> module is not going to keep you off the rocks. Hopefully you have good ground
> tackle aboard to deploy.

I really believe the decision depends on what type
> of sailing you do and where you sail. How able you are to make the repair and
> to the degree you wish keep on top of regular maintenance and be self
> sufficient?

I installed electronic ignition on a 1967 Volkswagen Beetle it
> worked fine. It may have been an improvement but it was not a panacea for any
> ignition problems.

My two cents,

Michael #133 Lorrie Rose

-----