[Public-List] Electronic Ignition

Glenn Brooks via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Oct 9 10:19:51 PDT 2014

Gord,

Shouldn't that comment be:

"Good Points!"

Truthfully, I don't know anything about the A4's as Dolce was re-powered with a 25 hp diesel before I bought the boat.  I did have electronic ignition in my gill netter in Alaska (454 chev block Mercruiser 330 with a big out drive).  I was running the engine 800-1000 hours per season. my ignition problems were minuscule compared to previous gas boats with points.  Only draw back, as others have said, if it failed, and it did fail every three thousand hours or so, you were certainly and quite suddenly dead in the water. As a result,  I always carried a spare unit on board to be self sufficient, and as insurance against the extreme operating conditions and remote location of the Alaska fishing grounds.  Actually spare everything - ignition, plugs, filters, gaskets, tools, belts, props,  wiring harness...but that's another story.  Overall,  I was very happy with the electronic approach.  It was  more spendy but offered greater dependability and much longer service intervals.

Glenn B.
Dolce 318
Sent from my iPad