[Public-List] Hatch hinges

Jonathan Adams via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Apr 14 17:50:00 PDT 2015

I have an old style boat, and have had the cockpit seat hatches attached with piano hinges for as long as I have had the boat. However, they have never fitted correctly, and this creates stress cracks and causes me to refinish the things way too much.
My question is, how are these attached on other boats, and if you use a piano hinge, how do you get it to sit correctly. When the hinge is in place and the hatch sitting squarely the hatch is closed, and it is impossible to see where to drill the screw holes.
I was thinking something like Perko, T Hinges, Chrome, or a short sided hinge like http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search_subCategory.do?categoryName=Hinges&category=568&page=GRID  Any thoughts appreciated.
Jonathan197