[Public-List] Hatch hinges

Glenn Brooks via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Apr 14 21:19:02 PDT 2015

Jonathan,

I went through this on Dolce last summer. My old cockpit plywood hatches finally fell apart for the third time and I replaced them with new teak hatches.  On close inspection I found the rear of the hatches was curved, as was the hatch combing.  somehow Whidby found a way to mount the piano hinges on the camber of the hatch coming and get the hatch to close. Of course over time, the stresses on the forward edge of the piano hinge cause the screws to pull out, and lessen the secure nature of the hinge.

I ended up basically straightening the rear of the new wood hatch and building out the the rear hatch of the fiberglass hatch about 1/4" to accommodate a more straight run for the piano hinge to mount to the combing.

The trick to screwing the piano hinges to the combing is use the correct size hinge - hinges are made in several different widths.  Then anchor one end at the correct height so that the hinge is flush with the deck. Then level the other end, mark the screw hole with a pencil and drill the other,side.  Once both ends are anchored. Go back and add screws along the length of the hinge.  It's doable, but takes care and maybe filling bad holes and re drilling...

Glenn P.
dolce 318

Sent from my iPad