[Public-List] Interior Paint

Glenn Brooks via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Apr 27 08:47:00 PDT 2015

Jim,
I've found the best thing to prevent mold here in the Pacific Northwest is a little airflow and some heat in the boat when laid up.  When I owned Dolce, I  used a small 110 v marine Heater from West Marine- running on low, with an adjustable thermostat to put a bit of warm air circulation into the boat.  That keeps the interior dry and prevents mold from forming.

Regarding teak finishes, I also like oiled surfaces, and use teak oil as needed with no problems. However have had great, long lasting success with tung oil.  When refinishing teak, I always put one or two coats of teak oil as a base layer, but like tung oil as a finish  as it drys hard and seals the surface well.  I built up 6 or 7 coats of tung oil on all my bulkheads and teak joinery work, which lasted for some years, then after a few years started wiping down with an additional coat every spring.  Formby sells a brand tung oil I've been very happy with.

Glenn B.
Ex-Dolce
318

Sent from my iPad