[Public-List] Electronic tiller

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sat Dec 26 10:51:16 PST 2015

Hello Harry,

I used one back in the '80's doing a yacht delivery from Martinique to Toronto via Bermuda and New York.

We had to have it repaired several times during the trip, but when it worked it did the job.   It was best suited for motoring because it couldn't, of course, steer by the wind.

I grew very conscious of the sound it made; a light buzz when easing the helm followed by a deeper sound when applying it under load.    The sound meant it was working!

It used a lot more power than advertised and after we'd had an engine problem between Bermuda and New York and couldn't charge our batteries, we were back to hand steering.

The boat on that trip was a Dufour 31; which I didn't like much.  It was a brute to steer with a ton of helm if I let it heel over much.  I missed my Folkboat every day.

The Genco's are good people.  Say hi for me.

Gord 426 Surprise.