[Public-List] Electronic tiller

Michael Grosh via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Dec 29 17:18:15 PST 2015

Someone on this thread mentioned having the autopilot linked to a chart
plotter to automatically follow routes. I'm not sure that is such a good
idea. The idea of the boat changing course without adult supervision just
seems a little sketchy.
The boat I work on has the whole electronic package networked-plotter, AIS,
depth finder, radars, AWI, GPS, and probably other stuff I don't know
about. Oh yeah, Sirius radio ostensibly for the weather function. My
company disables the route following capability through the whole fleet.
Granted, a 400' tow running as a wannabe skynet is a little out of our
discussion range, but still...at least, not without collision avoidance
software. I guess if they have it on  cars it can be on boats too
Hopefully I'll be retired before my job  category gets eliminated.

MichaelGrosh