[Public-List] Electronic tiller

Jay Davenport via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Dec 29 17:54:54 PST 2015

My Navico (Simrad) tiller pilot is wired to my Garmin chartplotter. It will hold a bearing, go to a waypoint, or follow a route. When following a route, it is not fully automatic.
As the boat approaches a waypoint in the route, where a turn is needed, the tiller pilot beeps. At this point, the boat continues straight ahead until the watch stander presses a button on the tiller pilot to confirm that a turn may be safely made (there is no boat, navigation aid, etc. in the way).
The tiller pilot then makes the turn towards the next  waypoint, and the boat continues on the rest of the route. Of course, using a tiller pilot, with or without routing functions, requires a full time, alert, watch stander.
During the 17 years I have used this tiller pilot, including it's routing function, I have found it very useful, especially when single-handing. I now consider it a necessary part of my cruising gear.  Jay Davenport