[Public-List] propeller choice

Don Campbell via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Feb 2 13:36:00 PST 2015

Jay:
     There is a note on propellers on the A30 site under maintenance and
drive train. (There is also a note on the bottom of that page from one Jay
Davenport.) If you want to play with the various numbers to determine a
prop, get a copy of Propcalc ( open software) and have fun.  Contact me off
list if the URL is not here.
http://www.surfbaud.co.uk/wave/
  You do need to know the specifics for your motor and transmission, but
your will get the prop specs. Remember that one inch diameter = 2.5 inches
of pitch, and two inches extra pitch will cut engine rpm by 450.  These
figures then need to be related to the horsepower and torque curves of your
specific engine  to get the performance out of your engine you think you
deserve for the price you have paid!  So if your engine produces maximum
torque at 75% of maximum RPMs and that does not get to enough Horsepower to
give the work to push an Alberg to Hull Speed, only then do you need to go
bigger.
    I use a 13:8 two blade and that fits an A4 just fine for me. I don't
really care  about slip at low RPMs and want less slip at high RPMs, so have
gone higher than recommend for pitch.
Don