[Public-List] re ice box insulation

Amy & David Swanson via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Feb 6 15:23:12 PST 2015

I often sail with 2 igloo brand coolers.  The larger is a 48-quart,
which I filled with block ice, frozen food, and such.  The smaller one
has drinks & cube/crushed ice.    The larger will hold for a week, the
smaller had to be re-iced every 2 - 3 days.  In both, I used frozen
drinking water as part of the load - frozen 16 oz water bottles in the
drinks cooler, frozen 3-liter bottles of water in the larger cooler.  I
would also put frozen food (often pre-cooked then frozen) in the larger
cooler, with the stuff to be eaten soonest on top where they will thaw
(slowly).  The built in ice-box (pre-liner boat) was used for dry goods
storage.