[Public-List] Main sail jackline(new sails)

Michael via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Feb 13 04:31:02 PST 2015

I thought the jackline was there as a function of the old roller
furling; supporting that section of the luff cut back to allow for the
furler mechanism on the boom, if you follow.
I have double reef points (slab or Jiffy reefing) with a jackline on my
now very old Main. I don't double reef very often, but I can't recall
the jackline being an issue when reefing. I know I keep all of the
reefed sail attached to the mast slide, and that probably is because the
jackline allows for "give".
A loose footed main doesn't sound very attractive to me-I am suspicious
it is mostly cheaper construction technique. I would throw out the
phrase  tip roll off when asking the sail maker, just to keep him
honest. Also the double reef leaves a lot of material flopping around
along the boom, I usually corral it all with a few loosely tied lines. I
would think a loose foot would make that problematic.

MichaelGrosh