[Public-List] re. halyard replacement

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed Jan 28 06:07:09 PST 2015

Hello again -

I've kicked around the concept of using a high-performance tapered spinnaker
sheet for a main halyard wire replacement.  Ideally, the exposed aramid core
of the tapered sheet would run where the wire currently does in my rig....
That way I wouldn't have to rebuild the sheave box and replace the sheave.

A tapered sheet is a line where there is a core of very low stretch exotic
fibre, which has a sheath on the part to be handled of polyester.  In effect
the same principal as a wire/rope halyard in the old days.

At this point I have to point out the flawed logic in this course of
reasoning....  I'm in the midst of re-reading 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
Maintenance' which of course isn't about maintaining bikes at all, rather
it's about purity of logic, clear thinking, truth, etc, using the machine's
pure needs as a metaphor....

So, if I want to get away from the wire halyard, I really should do it right
and make the sheave and it's fittings serve the new halyard... Not the other
way around, which would be fudging up a halyard to imitate the old wire so
that I could keep using the old sheave....

Hmmmm

Gord #426 Surprise