[Public-List] Head sail furler

Jim Davis via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Jul 28 11:28:47 PDT 2015

   I've been using Profurl for a couple decades and am happy with their
   furlers.   The remarks about sheet and furling line tension are on the
   mark.  Another area is halyard tension.  If it is too tight you can
   deform the bearings.  It also makes it hard to furl.  Unlike "hank on"
   furlers support the full length of the sail and you do not need a lot
   of tension for a straight luff.  Put just enough tension to get a
   smooth surface, no more.  Also it is worth easing the halyard an inch
   or so when you put the boat to bed, just to ease the bearings.
   Also occasionally give the lower drum a good rinse with fresh water,
   this reduces salt build up.
Jim Davis
Privateer Isa Lei

If man does find the solution for world peace it will be the most revolutionary
reversal of his record we have ever known.

George C. Marshall