[Public-List] Norscot shaft seal--lip seal replacement?

Glenn Brooks via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Thu Jun 25 21:32:13 PDT 2015

Hi Randy,  where are you keeping your boat these days?  I don't envy you trying to get at the shaft log without a hatch in the cockpit. It might make sense to just pull the engine out into the main cabin, and do all the work then put it back in place... I've had mine out twice last year replacing the transmission.  Actually fairly simple job once you get into it.  Sure makes it easy to clean up the engine room and work on stuff - like draining and refilling the transmission, when the engine is hanging from a hoist in the main cabin.

I have a 2 ton chain hoist and overhead pipe that fits over the top of the cabin companion way hatch to pull the engine if you want to borrow the lift capability.

Alternately hire a small, muscular young guy to crawl around headfirst to do the work. I had the perfect guy for the  job, but he wised up after working on Dolce two years ago, and now that he got older probably couldn't be suckered into a re-run.

Cheers
Glenn

Sent from my iPad