[Public-List] Do we need halyard winches?

Wes Gardner via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Jun 26 18:42:24 PDT 2015

Hey,
As others have suggested, You should give your reefing system a thought. This might dictate where halyards go as well as your reef lines. Personally, if I ever go anywhere, I will always have a second person with me. My wife can steer pretty well and doesn't get intimidated too easily, with that, I can leave the helm and go forward with the boat on starboard tack, easy the main halyard (it's in a mast-mounted winch) and crank it down and onto the reef hook. The reef line for the leach is secured on the side of the boom.

For the jib, those new-fangled roller furling systems are pretty sweat! Halyard tension almost becomes a 'set it and forget it' kind of thing. You could get away with no winch there. Extend the halyard back to one of your primaries and grind on it there.

Wes

Sent from my iPad