[Public-List] Soda blasting.

Don Campbell via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Mar 13 10:37:11 PDT 2015

Greg:
    I have used soda blasting on 528 and it took all of the triple X off
with no trouble. The way it works is that the explosion of the soda crystal
removes the product,  so pressure is the controlling factor. It happened to
be raining when we did the job, but that made for only less dust. It took
only about 120 lbs. of product, so much less than sand.  I did it at home,
and there was only about 2" of dead grass on the edge of the gravel
driveway, so minimal environmental damage. It left the hull so smooth that I
had to sand it so that the new barrier coat adhered. There were some bubbles
on the hull and it was relatively easy to see them, so they were opened,
filled with Interlux Watertite (R) filler epoxy, easily sanded and I used VC
tar for the barrier coat for fresh water. (No longer made.) I have been told
that most of the barrier coats have limited life because of environmental
restrictions and that the newest one is German, and the same one that they
now use to undercoat cars. Apparently 1 liter is ample but it is $800.00 and
good for both fresh and salt water.
    I gather you have someone lined up to do it , but often it is the fire
reclamation people who use soda most frequently to clean up fire damages. If
they are not busy , they are often a good source of service. Check with your
insurance company's local adjuster to see who they use.
Don