[Public-List] Barrier Coat

George Dinwiddie via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Fri Mar 13 11:42:01 PDT 2015

Jon,

On 3/13/15 11:27 AM, Jon Budington via Public-List wrote:

> I'm having Nimble's bottom soda blasted - years of antifouling paint
> buildup is starting to fail.  Has anyone applied a barrier coat?  The
> yard seems to think this is the right thing to do.  I've never had a
> blister, so I'm worried about doing something different (or
> unnecessary).

Be sure to get the hull really, REALLY dry. I've heard tales of people
who did not have blister problems until AFTER they put on a barrier
coat. My theory is that Whitby's gelcoat was porous enough to let the
hydrolization byproducts pass through without building up enough
pressure to cause delamination, and the barrier coat blocked them.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org