[Public-List] To encapsulate or not encapsulate

Gordon Laco via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon Mar 30 06:34:44 PDT 2015

Hello friends,

Wood cannot 'breath' through epoxy... Epoxy works better on wood than
polyester because it chemically sticks to it better, but mostly because it's
more flexible, and can cope with the wood's movement better.

I believe the issue at play with encapsulating wood is that it has to be
done very very thoroughly, or moisture will get in and that's the beginning
of the end of the wood.

The Gougeons are supporters of the theory that one can successfully
encapsulate wood... Most professional boat builders are not.

Wood is by its nature, an unstable material with regard to expanding and
contracting with changing moisture.  If the slightest chink in the
encapsulating armour occurs, and a chink will ALWAYS occur sooner or later,
the wooded will begin behaving like wood again.  Expanding wood will break
the epoxy and after moisture has freer and freer access, degradation will
happen.

My own opinion is that encapsulating timbers in older boats is a last-ditch
life extension strategy for a boat that would otherwise be cut up...and
which one is resigned will be cut up anyway in a few more years but at least
you can use it.

With new wood, where the moisture content is both known and lower, and one
can more reliably entomb the wood so that whatever it's humidity is on the
day it's closed in will remain at that level...  One has a better chance,
but it's still a chance.

Gord #426 Surprise