[Public-List] Paint stripper question

Glenn Brooks via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sat May 2 13:08:16 PDT 2015

Hello all,

This is a bit off subject, but sort of related to boats... I just acquired a 1940's Delta DP 220 drill press from an estate sale, for my machine shop- which I repair the ole A 30 with... The DP has been top coated sometime in the past with grey oil based enamel.  I have discovered the Delta badge, mounted on the pulley guard on top of the quill is in pristine, original condition- just covered over with the grey paint.  I've tried three solvents to remove the grey paint and restore the beautiful looking Badge to its former glory - however the solvents equally attack the red finish on the badge, as well as the topcoat.  I've tried acetone, Ospho (phosphoric acid), and some kind of naphtha paint thinner, each dissolves the underlying finish.

Any idea what products are out there that go after old oil based enamel, but not what I assume is the baked original baked on lacquer finish of the badge?

Thanks
Glenn B

Sent from my iPad