[Public-List] Head

Stephen Gwyn via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Mon May 4 21:29:10 PDT 2015

Two parts:

1) I can't speak for fresh water, or the east coast, but
here on the Pacific coast, in practice, you won't get
into trouble unless you put crap in the water near the
shore. I've been inspected 2-3 times by coast guard,
My boat technically does not meet the the requirements.
For a while, we had a regular head which we used far
from shore in fast moving waters and a porta-pottie
for the rest of the time. Never had a problem. Never
heard of anybody having a problem. When the laws
were being drafted, there was a lot of input from the
boating community, and their requests were listened to.

2) I have a Jabsco full-sized head. On a liner boat,
there is no reason to get a compact head. Haven't had
a problem yet. And the best, cheapest, easiest upgrade
you can do for your boat is change out the seat for
a domestic, wooden one. It looks nicer and isn't
as much of a shock on cold days.

SG