[Public-List] Cockpit floor hatch?

Daniel Sternglass via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Wed May 27 11:29:00 PDT 2015

> Subject: Re: [Public-List] Public-List Digest, Vol 3038, Issue 1
> Message: 2
>
> Hello
> I'm considering putting a hatch in my cockpit floor for better engine
> access=
> .. Has anyone done this and if so any recommendations on the
> brand/type hatch=
>  used and any install notes or gotchas?
Ramon,

In my 1966 A-30 the previous owner installed a 6" or 8" circular metal
deck plate. It's maybe 8" from the forward edge of the cockpit floor.
Seems to be primarily for reaching the prop shaft packing. It helps, but
it is still not easy to adjust. In any case, I'd strongly recommend a
"structural" frame hatch with a metal or very strong top surface. I have
had some delamination of that floor, so I constructed an oak strip false
floor many tears ago which transfers all the loading to the edges,
anyway. I'd be very cautious about weakening the floor with a larger hatch.

--Dan S.

dans at stmktg.com
mobile: +1607-592-8012

Strategic Marketing Associates