[Public-List] Self Tailers

Don Campbell via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sun Oct 25 07:25:07 PDT 2015

    I, too, have added 40ST's (2 speed)  and have used Andersen's because
the bars on the barrel do not abrade line like knurled or sharply rough
surfaces do. I have used one set of sheets for 7 years, and when you
consider adding the cost of low stretch line replacement with some frequency
because of rough barrelled winches,  you might then re-consider the cost
differences among winches.  The 40's with 2 speeds allow any person to
control the sail with confidence, regardless of their strength or arthritis.
It is a wonderful addition for safer sailing because the crew is a help in
any weather.
    I have a newer boat with the winch pockets molded in the deck, and so
far, no strength problems with a 165 under race conditions.     I had no
trouble adding the new winches. The bolt pattern was 6 on the new and 5 on
the old,  but I had to drill only one new hole because the 5 lined up .
Usually,  there are price discounts at boat shows, or your regular supplier
may get price discounts for volume on his spring order.
Don