[Public-List] Self Tailers

Michael Nikolich via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Sat Oct 24 15:39:50 PDT 2015

To clarify, I believe some of the "misadventures" with self-tailers are not just from the winches.  I think the problem is that the self-tailers are installed on additional pedestals to set the boat up with primary and secondary winches (usually for racing).  The bottom of one pedestal design commonly used has openings to let water run through.  Over time and/or under high loads, the pedestal feet and hardware used to mount the pedestal to the deck and coaming has proven insufficient and the pedestal would tear away. If you plan to just have one set of winches on the original pedestals, then depending on how substantial your pedestals and hardware on you may be fine.

Mike

Mike Nikolich
s/v SKYBIRD
Alberg 30 #550