[Public-List] Exhaust system

John Brugeman via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Sep 8 07:38:40 PDT 2015

I have an exhaust problem.  I have Alberg #305 (1968) with the water injected muffler in the aft lazaret.  Not sure what you call that type of muffler.  This whole system is probably original to the boat as I am only the second owner.  The tube that runs from the engine to the muffler is broken just before it enters the muffler.  Maybe an inch or two before.  This whole unit is wrapped of course.  What is the tubing made of and what is the diameter of the tubing? The muffler itself seems to be fine.  Also as the exhaust exits the boat I'm getting white smoke (probably what seems to be steam).  What would be causing that and is that normal? Are there fittings along the tube anywhere between the engine and the muffler?  Is the water entering the muffler from the engine water pump or from a separate pump?  I would probably replace the exhaust hose and the water hose at the same time.  I know this is a lot of questions but any suggestions or answers would be greatly appreciated before I tackle this job.
John BMermaid #305