[Public-List] barnacles on the propeller

via Public-List public-list at lists.alberg30.org
Tue Sep 8 13:07:58 PDT 2015

Gordon,
I live off the East River on the Mobjack in what VIMS (Virginia Institute Marine Science) calls a hot zone.  The good news is we have bushels of oysters growing on our rip rap.  Unfortunately the same conditions favor heavy barnacle growth. I have to scrape my prop every few weeks to keep the little 12 hp BMW diesel up to the task.

I have tried various products and systems and generally come up with what you saw.  They work OK for about a month and then the barnacles re-appear. I currently use multiple light coats of zinc spray which doesn't seem to stop the growth but slows it and makes it possible to rub them off the prop blades with a rubber glove. I still have to dive on the prop but it's a lot easier.  If you find the magic cure,  I would love to hear.
Richard Hazlegrove
Quest 433